The family is dubious.
“Salad for dinner?” they ask. “As dinner???”
Of course … when it’s salad like this: Hearty Belgian endive, crisp apples, sweet Medjool dates and shards of salty, meaty manchego cheese.
“You’ll love it,” I tell them.
And they did.
Fall Salad Of Apples, Endive & Dates
Adapt this as you like. Bacon would be a lovely addition. So would pears. And blue cheese would complement the tastes and textures as well as the manchego does.
- 5 heads of Belgian endive, halved and cut into ribbons
- 1 honeycrisp apple, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, lightly toasted
- 6 dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons roughly torn slices of manchego cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
Layer the endive, apple, walnuts, dates and cheese in a serving bowl:
Place the shallots and vinegar in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, then allow to sit for 5-10 minutes for the flavors to mellow.
Add the walnut oil in a steady stream, whisking to combine.
Pour the dressing over the salad. Toss well, and serve:
This feeds 4 hungry people.