Our asparagus patch is producing madly: We’re eating succulent spears almost every day for breakfast and dinner. Here are 10 reasons this springtime veggie deserves our love.
Let us count the ways:
1. It’s the first crop to push its way through the garden’s mud and mire.
2. Plant it once, and it appears every year — no tilling, no fertilizing, no fuss.
3. It packs 180 percent of the FDA’s recommended daily allowance of Vitamin K, plus it’s rich in folate, manganese and Vitamins A and C.
4. It comes in lovely white, green and purple varieties.
5. It’s a perfect excuse to make homemade mayonnaise for dipping.
6. It’s versatile:
- Daub it with olive oil and roast it at 400 degrees for 10 minutes for a slightly smoky, slightly charred treat;
- Blanch it for just 1 minute, then submerge in ice water. Dry it off and dip it in that mayonnaise with impunity;
- Grill it;
- Plop it in a saute…
View original post 179 more words